- J.D. Center for Health Law Studies at Saint Louis University School of Law, 2005
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Saint Louis College of Pharmacy, 1994
- Director of Online Master of Science in Pharmacy programs in Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section Council, 2013-2016
- 2011-12 Teacher of the Year, University of Florida College of Pharmacy
After receiving a Pharm.D. degree from the Saint Louis College of Pharmacy in 1994, Dr. Smith directed the operations of a long-term care pharmacy. In 2005, he earned a Juris Doctor degree and Certificate in Health Law at Saint Louis University School of Law. He served on the faculty of the Saint Louis College of Pharmacy for three years until he joined the faculty of the University of Florida College of Pharmacy in 2008.
In 2011, Smith was promoted to clinical associate professor, and was recognized as the College’s Teacher of the Year. In 2012, he became director of the College’s online master’s program in pharmaceutical outcomes and policy. A member of the American Bar Association, the American Society for Pharmacy Law, and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Smith has served as a speaker and leader in areas such as cultural competency, health disparities, bioethics, and disability law.
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Academic Leadership Fellow, Cohort 10 (2013-2014)
- Council of Faculties Subcommittee on scholarly teaching (2013-present)
- Ethics SIG Committee (Member, 2006 – present)
- Cultural Competency & Health Disparities SIG
- Chair (2013-2014)
- Chair-Elect (2011 – 2013)
American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Life Sciences Interest Group (formerly Medical Research, Biotechnology & Clinical Ethical Issues Interest Group)
- Chair (2009 – 2011)
- Vice Chair (2007 – 2009)
- Vice Chair, Emerging Medical Issues conference planning committee (2009 – 2012)
- Interest Group Leadership Team:
- Chair (2012 – 2014)
- Vice Chair (2011 – 2012)
- Vice Chair, Coordinating Committee on Diversity (2011 – present)
- Section liaison to the Commission on Disability Rights (formerly the Commission on Mental and Physical Disability Law) (2011 – present)
- Member, Physician Conflicts of Interest Subcommittee (2008- 2010)
American Bar Association, Commission on Disability Rights
- Commissioner (2008- 2011)
- Health Law Section Liaison (2010-present)
- Liaison to the ABA Special Committee on Bioethics and the Law (2010-2011)
- Member, Subcommittee on mental disability issues (2009- 2011)
- Member, Subcommittee on veterans’ issues (2008)
- Chair, Editorial Advisory Board of the Mental and Physical Disability Law Reporter (fall 2009 – 2011; member 2008)
American Bar Association, presidential-appointed Member, Special Committee on Bioethics and the Law (2011-2013).
American Society for Pharmacy Law
- Member, Education and Scholarship Committee (2009 – present)
- Member, Pharmacy Law Education Committee (2012 – present)
- Brushwood DB, Smith WT. The Warranties of a Compounding Pharmacist. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2009;66(5):495-8.
- Forinash AB, Smith WT, et al. Differences in Self-Reported Academically Dishonest and Non-Dishonest Pharmacy Students when Rating Professional Dishonesty Scenarios. Curr Pharm Teach Learn 2010;2:100-7.
- Smith WT. An Overview of Long-Term Care Services and Support in America. Miss. C. L. Rev. 2010;29(2):387-407.
- Smith WT, Roth JJ, et.al. Disability in Cultural Competency Pharmacy Education. Am J Pharm Educ. 2011;75(2): Article 26.
- Smith WT, Allen WL. Implications of the 2008 Amendments To The Americans With Disabilities Act for Medical Education. Acad Med. 2011;86(6):768-772.
- Okoro ON, Odedina FT, Reams RR, Smith WT. Clinical Cultural Competency and Health Disparities Knowledge among Pharmacy Students in Two Florida Public Institutions. Am J Pharm Educ. 2012;76(3): Article 40.
- Smith WT. Pharmacist Responsibility for Screening of Opioid Use in Non-Tolerant Patients. University of the Incarnate Word Pharmacy Review. 2012;1(1):53-68.
- Smith WT, Brushwood DB. The Pharmacist’s Responsibility for Optimizing Drug Therapy Outcomes. The Pain Practitioner. 2012;22(1):38-42.
- Smith WT, Phillips EG, Lopez TM. Generic Liability, or Lack Thereof, Under Duty-To-Warn: It’s All About the Labeling. Health Lawyer. 2012;25(2): 12-20.
- Smith WT, Catney CM, et al. Pharmacy Student Comfort in Communicating with Persons with Disabilities. Accepted by, Curr Pharm Teach Learn, July 2013.
- Lee C, Segal R, Kimberlin C, Smith WT, Weiler RM. Relationship between Presence of Lifestyle-related Disease and Pharmacists’ Professional Obligation for Providing Care to Patients. Submitted to J Am Pharm Assoc on July 17, 2013.
- Lee C, Segal R, Kimberlin C, Smith WT, Weiler RM. Reliability and validity for the measurement of moral disengagement in pharmacists. Res Social Adm Pharm. In press, July 26, 2013.