Mission and Goals
The LGBTQ+ & Allies Subcommittee will create and sustain a forum for college-level dialogue on issues directly related to the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and non-binary members of the community and their allies at the College of Pharmacy, specifically to:
- Build on institutional strengths of the University of Florida committed to an affirming and inclusive community as articulated in Goal 1 of the UF Strategic Plan: An exceptional academic environment that reflects the breadth of thought essential for preeminence, achieved by a community of students, faculty, and staff who have diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- Objective 1. UF students, faculty and staff with increasingly diverse demographic and geographic characteristics.
- Objective 2. A university climate that is inclusive, supportive and respectful to all.
- Objective 3. Diverse, robust educational and interdisciplinary areas of excellence.
- Objective 4. Increased globalization to enhance our effectiveness as world citizens.
- Coordinate events and promotions highlighting LGBTQ+ & Allies topics at the College level (e.g. Pride month awareness campaign, Welcome message at new PharmD & graduate student orientation).
- Represent the college and coordinate with leadership in response to LGBTQ relevant local, regional, and national events, activities, and efforts (e.g. Statement of response to Pulse Nightclub shooting, educating the college on the impact of new health laws on LGBTQ community).
- Serve as a forum and provide visibility to all students, staff, and faculty who wish to share a message and call members of our community to action.
- Collaborate with other college organizations in systematic and periodic assessment of the quality of life of LGBTQ individuals at the college and coordinate with student affairs, HR, college leadership, and other college organizations to address and resolve LGBTQ related issues and concerns of individuals.
- Connect students, faculty, and staff with employers who support LGBTQ equality in the workplace.
- Offer recommendations to the Faculty Governance Committee and the Dean of the College of Pharmacy that provide a pathway to inclusive excellence throughout the college community.
- Rachel L Cufferi, PharmD student
- Aliese Dashiell, PharmD student
- Luke Espejo, PharmD student
- Cody D Lasso, PharmD student
- Ronald J Levinson III, PharmD student
- Joslyn A Lucero, PharmD student
- Misti R Merrill, Staff
- Jonathan L Nocenti, PharmD student
- Jessica Oglesby, PharmD student
- Joshua R Pullo, Instructional Assistant Professor
- Lindsey Smith, PharmD student
- Maria Tsikerdanos, PharmD student
- Michelle R Vest, Staff
John M Allen Pharm.D., BCPS, BCCCP, FCCM, FCCP
Supported Student Organization
Members of the Operation Pride, a student-run APhA-ASP group participated in the Orlando Pride Parade on October 12, 2019.
UF College of Pharmacy alumni and students participated in the River City Pride Parade.
Author and LGBTQ+ patient advocate Dina Proto, R.N., delivered a lecture on translating cultural competency to clinical relevancy when caring for LGBTQ+ patients.