Apply to the Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program with the UF College of Pharmacy.
Considering a graduate degree in the sciences, but not quite sure what area to pursue?
Curious about career opportunities for Ph.D.’s, particularly in the pharmaceutical sciences?
The Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program is a research-intensive program that pairs undergraduate students with a faculty advisor and a Ph.D. student mentor. You’ll have an opportunity to experience research at both a Top 5 pharmacy college and a Top 10 public university.
The SURF 2021 program will be offered in a hybrid format. Virtual experiences and activities will occur during the month of July to provide information about faculty and graduate student research in the pharmaceutical sciences. Activities by SURF students will be mentored by current trainees in the pharmaceutical sciences graduate program. Following the virtual program, the College of Pharmacy will host SURF students on campus during the first week of August for shadowing of current trainees in the SURF participant’s research area of interest.
All costs for SURF participants are paid by UF, including housing accommodations and round-trip flights/mileage to campus for the on-campus component of SURF. Students will also receive a $2,500 stipend for participating in both components of the program.
Participate in workshops and seminars on research in the pharmaceutical sciences to learn about drug discovery, pre-clinical and clinical research, precision medicine and pharmacoepidemiology.
SURF 2021 Eligibility
- SURF participants for Summer 2021 must be junior or senior level undergraduate students graduating with a bachelor’s degree between December 2021 through August 2022 (some colleges may elect to invite sophomore/junior students)
- U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Priority consideration for all SURF positions are given to students expected to apply to the University of Florida Pharmaceutical Sciences Ph.D. program for the Fall 2022 term (at UF, students can apply to a Ph.D. program directly from the completion of their bachelor’s degree)
- The University of Florida agrees to provide Ph.D. application fee waivers to all SURF participants. The goal of SURF is Ph.D. enrollment to the University of Florida.
- Complete the SURF online application including your preferred faculty/research projects of interest, resume, unofficial transcripts, statement of Ph.D. interest at UF and optional letters of recommendation.
- All participants are required to participate in all SURF-related events to receive the $2,500 stipend.