The College of Pharmacy Outstanding Pharmacy Alumnus Service award is presented each year to an alumnus who has made signifi cant contributions to the pharmacy profession. The College of Pharmacy is pleased to recognize George Browning for his many contributions to the advancement of pharmacy.
George Browning was born in Sebastian, Florida, in 1931, graduated from Citrus High School in Inverness, Florida, in 1949; and, then entered the University of Florida and graduated from the College of Pharmacy in June of 1953.
He married Jeannine Brown from Webster, Florida, on June 28th, 1953. He completed a pharmacy internship in Palatka at City Drug owned by Jack Culpepper and Spud Harrell, and was licensed as a pharmacist in 1954. He began work in Orlando at Evans Pharmacy. His pharmacy career was interrupted with service in the U.S. Army in Austria and Italy. After discharge from military service he worked at Black’s Pharmacy in Ormond Beach for four years. George became an active member of Volusia County Pharmacy Association. He moved his family to Melbourne in 1960 to manage one of Pep Coleman’s Pharmacies where he learned to effectively manage inventory and purchasing. In 1962 George bought a pharmacy inside a medical building across from a hospital where he also provided pharmacy services to two nursing homes.
His activity in pharmacy association work continued with the formation of the Brevard County Pharmacy Association. He was elected president of District Association for Florida Pharmacy Association (FPA) in 1966. He was honored by the Florida Pharmacy Association’s Richards Award for Pharmaceutical Public Relations in 1968.
He expanded his pharmacy operation with the construction of an 1100 square foot building in front of the original space. This allowed the addition of ostomy, surgical supplies and durable medical equipment. The nursing home business also increased. George’s pharmacy operation was the fi rst to become computerized in Brevard County. George served as Treasurer of the FPA from 1969 to1971. In 1972 he was elected President of the FPA. He also served as president of the College of Pharmacy Alumni Association in 1968-1969. George served on the Board of Directors and then became Secretary of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists from 1972 to 1976. His leadership abilities also resulted in his service as Vice President and then President of Academy of Pharmacy Practice of American Pharmacists Association (APhA) from 1976 to 1979. He was selected as a Fellow of the American College of Apothecaries.
George was honored for his many contributions to the pharmacy profession with the Beal Award as Pharmacist of the year in 1979 and the Bowl of Hygeia in 1985.
In 1985 he opened another pharmacy location. His pharmacy and health care business was housed in a two-story 5000 square foot building for durable medical equipment and the nursing home pharmacy. His health care business expanded to included transfi lling of oxygen, repairing equipment, and a complete respiratory department with home ventilators, power/manual wheelchairs, and seating/positioning rehabilitative equipment. His inventory also included breast prosthesis.
His active involvement in FPA led to a second successful run for Treasurer and then President of the FPA again from 1981 to 1985.
In 1990 his business included another 5000 square foot expansion for more billing, larger repair space, and pedorthotics. A branch for rehabilitation services was added in Orlando. In 1995 his business increased to 17,000 square feet facility, which allowed room to expand different departments and move the original pharmacy into this building. George’s health care business provides free delivery with a fl eet of eight vehicles in Brevard County, plus a few adjoining counties.
George is celebrating his 50th year in the health care business. He began with one employee (himself) and now employees 65 individuals. George and Jeannine enjoy their family of three daughters and a son plus many grandchildren.