Menu UF Health Home Menu
 

History

Important Events in our College’s History

1923

The first entering class of 43 students registered for classes in Science Hall, now Flint Hall and Peabody Hall. Townes R. Leigh, Head of the Department of Chemistry, was appointed Director of the School of Pharmacy by President Murphree. The School of Pharmacy offered the Graduate of Pharmacy degree (Ph.G.), the Pharmaceutical Chemist degree (Ph.C.), and the B.S. in Pharmacy degree (B.S. Pharm.). The School of Pharmacy was organized into Departments of Pharmacy and Pharmacognosy-Pharmacology.

1925

The School of Pharmacy was made a College of Pharmacy with Townes R. Leigh as the first dean. The first graduates were awarded diplomas. The first D.W. Ramsaur Award for Distinguished Scholarship was presented to John Gardner. The College of Pharmacy was granted membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, the accrediting body for pharmacy education at the time. The graduate program for the Master of Science in Pharmacy degree began. The Legislature appropriated money to build the Chemistry-Pharmacy building (now Leigh Hall).

1926

The Medicinal Garden was created on ten acres of land on the campus. Construction began on the Chemistry-Pharmacy Building.

1928

The Rho Chi Society was granted a charter to the College of Pharmacy. The chapter was recognized as the Iota Chapter.

1930

The College of Pharmacy became the first college on the University of Florida campus to offer the Doctor of Philosophy degree. The degree was designated Doctor of Philosophy with a Major in Pharmacy.

1932

The first woman graduate of the University of Florida, Jeanette Radin Byers, received the Master of Science in Pharmacy degree.

1933

The Ph.G. and Ph.C. degrees were discontinued. The B.S. in Pharmacy degree became the only undergraduate degree offered by the College of Pharmacy. Leigh was appointed Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Pharmacy was changed to a School of Pharmacy with B.V. Christensen as Director.

1934

The first recipient of the Doctor of Philosophy degree, L.J. Klotz, from the College of Pharmacy was recognized at graduation in June, 1934.

1935

The State Legislature passed an Act to permit women to enroll in the College of Pharmacy. The College of Pharmacy became the first co-educational program on the campus of the University of Florida.

1936

The women students in the College organized a society called the Spatula Club becoming the first woman’s organization on the campus of the University of Florida.

1939

The first woman to receive the B.S. in Pharmacy degree from the College of Pharmacy and the University of Florida was Marjorie F. Baldwin Pinner. Christensen resigned as Director to become the Dean of the College of Pharmacy at Ohio State University. Perry A. Foote became the School’s third Director. The Spatula Club received a charter as the Kappa Chapter from Kappa Epsilon Fraternity.

1940

The Bureau of Professional Relations was established to promote better communication among pharmacists and physicians, to function as a student and alumni affairs office, and to coordinate continuing education programs. Foote served as the first Director.

1945

Because of World War II only 4 students graduated from the School of Pharmacy. For only the second time in the history of the College of Pharmacy the D.W. Ramsaur Award was not presented.

1947

Final additions to the Chemistry-Pharmacy Building were constructed, thus finally completing the building as originally conceived in 1925. The Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity was chartered as the Gamma Sigma Chapter.

1949

The School of Pharmacy became a College of Pharmacy with Perry A. Foote appointed as the second dean.

1950

The Chemistry-Pharmacy Building was officially dedicated to the memory of Leigh and named Leigh Hall. A pilot manufacturing plant was installed in Leigh Hall which enabled a major in industrial pharmacy within the graduate program of the Department of Pharmacy.

1951

The B.S. in Pharmacy curriculum was revised to require 4 academic years and a summer semester. The Graduate Council of the University of Florida accepted the designation Doctor of Philosophy with a Major in Pharmaceutical Chemistry.

1953

The first woman to receive the Doctor of Philosophy degree from the College of Pharmacy was Betty Lankford McLaughlin.

1954

The College of Pharmacy was made a unit of the J. Hillis Miller Health Science Center and planning began for a building for the College of Pharmacy in the Health Center. L. Gene Gramling served as Chairman of the Planning Committee.

1956

The Sigma Chapter of Rho Pi Phi Fraternity was established at the University of Florida College of Pharmacy.

1959

Groundbreaking Ceremonies for the Pharmacy wing of the Health Center were held. The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was established giving the College of Pharmacy three departments: Pharmacy, Pharmacognosy-Pharmacology, and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.

1960

The B.S. in Pharmacy curriculum was expanded to five academic years to meet American Council of Pharmaceutical Education accreditation requirements. The curriculum allowed specialization in Community Pharmacy, Hospital Pharmacy, Industrial Pharmacy, and Research.

1961

Students began classes in the Pharmacy Building in the Health Center. Edward Garrett was granted the first Graduate Research Professorship by a faculty member in the College of Pharmacy.

1962

The Pharmacy Building in the Health Center was dedicated by University of Florida President J. Wayne Reitz.

1966

The Department of Pharmacognosy-Pharmacology was moved into the College of Medicine’s Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

1967

Perry A. Foote retired as Dean of the College of Pharmacy. George F. Archambault was appointed the third Dean of the College of Pharmacy. Dean Archambault resigned several months later.

1968

Kenneth F. Finger was appointed the fourth Dean of the College of Pharmacy.

1969

The clinical education concept was first implemented in the College of Pharmacy with an elective course coordinated by Mack Sisson, educational coordinator of the Gainesville Veterans Administration Hospital.

1970

The first full-time clinical pharmacy faculty member, Ronald B. Stewart, was hired to implement clinical education in the College of Pharmacy. A four credit elective course was implemented which required students to spend three hours per week in clinical activities within the Health Center. Rudolph H. Blythe was appointed the first Assistant Dean for the College of Pharmacy.

1971

The Division of Continuing Education was established with Max A. Lemberger as Director. Mr. Lemberger was also appointed Assistant Dean for Professional Affairs. Charles Becker was appointed the first Assistant Dean for the Office for Student Affairs. Clinical pharmacy faculty with support from faculty in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry implemented a clinical toxicology service to the Shands Hospital Emergency Room.

1972

The Master of Science in Clinical Pharmacy program was implemented. The College implemented an externship and supervised internship program under the direction of Mr. Max Lemberger and Kenneth Bender. The Drug Information Service was created under the supervision of Mr. M. Peter Pevonka. The Academy-100 was established with John Davies as the first President.

1973

The College of Pharmacy celebrated its 50th year anniversary. Stephen C. O’Connell gave a congratulatory address to the faculty. The College of Pharmacy established a contract to provide pharmaceutical services to clients of the Sunland Center in Gainesville (now Tacachale).

1974

The clinical pharmacy clerkship course became a required course in the curriculum. Students were required to spend at least 15 hours per week for 10 weeks in clinical activities.

1975

The clinical pharmacy faculty implemented required didactic courses in Therapeutics and Nonprescription Drug Products.

1976

The College of Pharmacy held its own Commencement Ceremonies in the Medical Sciences Building Auditorium with Chandler Stetson, Vice President of Health Affairs, giving the address to the graduates.

1977

The post-baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy program was implemented under the supervision of Richard L. Yost.

1978

Michael A. Schwartz became the fifth Dean of the College of Pharmacy.

1979

The clinical pharmacy clerkship course was expanded to require students to spend at least 40 hours per week for 10 weeks in clinical activities.

1980

Mr. M. Peter Pevonka was appointed Assistant Dean of Clinical Affairs with responsibility to develop a network of external clinical training sites. The Department of Pharmacy Practice was established with Ronald B. Stewart as Chairman. The Department of Pharmacy Practice began training post-doctoral clinical fellows. The Iota Chapter of Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society was chartered.

1981

The faculty approved a curriculum for the entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy degree and a four year curriculum for a B.S. in Pharmacological Sciences degree. The research productivity of the faculty increased significantly as the number of faculty members in the College of Pharmacy increased to 41.

1982

The post-baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy program was discontinued.

1983

Mr. Robert Williams became the Director of Pharmacy Services at Shands Hospital and Assistant Dean for Hospital Affairs. Under his leadership a strong clinical pharmacy program with decentralized unit dose drug distribution was implemented in Shands Hospital. The College of Pharmacy negotiated a contract to provide pharmaceutical services to University Hospital in Jacksonville. Nicholas Bodor became the second faculty member in the College of Pharmacy to be promoted to Graduate Research Professor. The College expanded its clinical education program to the Jacksonville area.

1984

Thomas Keith assumed responsibilities as Director of Pharmacy Services at University Hospital in Jacksonville and began to implement strong clinical pharmacy programs with decentralized unit dose drug distribution at that institution. The Center for Computer Applications in Pharmacy was established under the supervision of J. Daniel Robinson. The Office for Development was established with Mr. Tim Wood as Director.

1985

The first entering class of pharmacy students to pursue the entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy degree began classes. Clerkship courses in the Doctor of Pharmacy program were designed to provide full-time clinical activities in eight clerkships over 32 weeks. A National Development Advisory Board of outstanding leaders in pharmacy and the health care system met under the chairmanship of Mr. Mark Knowles to assist the College of Pharmacy in planning and implementing programs for the future. The College of Pharmacy began a pilot Nontraditional Doctor of Pharmacy program for pharmacists who worked at the Health Center.

1986

The College of Pharmacy granted entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy degrees to students who completed a Transitional Doctor of Pharmacy degree program. The Departments of Pharmacodynamics, Pharmacy Health Care Administration, and Pharmaceutics were established with James Simpkins, William McCormick, and Hartmut Derendorf as Chairmen, respectively. The Center for Drug Design and Delivery (now the Center for Drug Discovery) was established under the supervision of Nicholas Bodor. At Commencement Ceremonies the first Perry A. Foote Award for Distinguished Scholarship in the Doctor of Pharmacy program was presented to Kathryn Blake, the first Distinguished Pharmacy Service Award to Fred Lippman, Florida Legislator, and the first Distinguished Pharmacy Alumnus Award to Frank Duckworth, retired Vice President-General Counsel for Pfizer, Inc. The College presented the first Distinguished Pharmacy Service Alumnus Award to John Davies at the annual meeting of the Florida Pharmacy Association.

1987

The Office for Graduate Studies and Research was established with James Simpkins as the Associate Dean. Mr. M. Peter Pevonka was appointed as the first Executive Associate Dean for the College of Pharmacy. Assistant Deans for Clinical Education were named in Jacksonville ( Thomas Keith), Tampa ( Phillip Johnson), and Miami (Mr. David Osterberger). The Office for Alumni Affairs was established with Deborah Klapp as Director. The first Searle Homecoming Barbecue for Alumni and Friends of the College of Pharmacy was held in the courtyard of Leigh Hall.

1988

The College of Pharmacy and the College of Business granted Doctor of Pharmacy and Master of Business Administration diplomas, respectively, to the first graduate of the combined Pharm.D./MBA program, Eric Harvey. The Office for Experiential Programs with oversight for externship, internship, and clerkship was established with Daniel Trueblood as Director. The first Doctor of Pharmacy degree was granted to a pharmacist in the Nontraditional Pharm.D. pilot program, Michael Heinrichs. The Center for Neurobiology of Aging was established under the supervision of James Simpkins.

The first endowed Eminent Scholar Chair in the College of Pharmacy was pledged by Frank Duckworth, alumnus of 1942 and retired Vice President-General Council for Pfizer, Inc. Mrs. Genevieve Ramsaur Buice, daughter of the late David W. Ramsaur, endowed the D.W. Ramsaur Award in perpetuity and attended Commencement Ceremonies with her family. A reception was held to celebrate Dean Emeritus Perry A. Foote’s 60th year association with the College. The College of Pharmacy celebrated its 65th year anniversary with the theme “Past is Prologue.”

1989

The first graduates of the entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum received diplomas at Commencement Ceremonies. Baktash Bootrabi was the first graduate of the B.S. in Pharmacological Sciences program in August, 1989. The Office for Public Relations in the College of Pharmacy was established with Morgan Marshall as Director.

1990

An endowed Eminent Scholar Chair in honor of Perry A. Foote was established with donations and pledges that amounted to over $600,000. The College of Pharmacy held the first Leadership Conference for faculty, students, and alumni. The number of faculty members increased to 57 reflecting a substantial investment by the Legislature in the quality of the undergraduate and graduate programs.

1991

The College of Pharmacy ended its five year participation in the University of Florida capital campaign by raising nearly five million dollars. The combined Doctor of Pharmacy and Doctor of Philosophy degrees program was officially approved. The Lawrence Dubow family contributed one million dollars to the College of Pharmacy to establish the Dubow Family Research Center in Pharmaceutical Care.

1992

The College of Pharmacy implemented a Nontraditional Doctor of Pharmacy program for pharmacists at the Gainesville campus. The College of Pharmacy celebrated the 20th year of significant contributions to health care and to the pharmacy profession by the Drug Information Service. The College of Pharmacy initiated a feasibility study for a new pharmacy building in the Health Center. In January, Raymond Bergeron became the third pharmacy faculty member granted Graduate Research Professor status.

1993

The College of Pharmacy began its 70th year of operation. The College’s Doctor of Pharmacy program was ranked among the best in the county (#8). Frank A. Duckworth ’42 donated $600,000 to the College to establish an eminent scholar chair in drug delivery. A joint graduate program in pharmaceutics was established with the College of Pharmacy at Florida A&M University.

1994

The College of Pharmacy implemented a nontraditional Doctor of Pharmacy program in Tampa under the direction of J. Daniel Robinson. The College of Pharmacy initiated the public phase of a capital campaign to raise up to $4 million (to be matched by the state) for an additional building to the present pharmacy building. Professor Paul Doering was appointed the first Distinguished Service Professor in the history of the College of Pharmacy. M. Peter Pevonka resigned as Executive Associate Dean to accept an appointment as Associate Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Research for the Health Science Center. Dean Michael A. Schwartz announced his resignation as the College’s fifth dean upon the selection of a new dean. Michael W. McKenzie was appointed the first Associate Dean for Professional Affairs.

1995

William H. Riffee was appointed as the 6th Dean of the College in February, 1996. Tim Wood resigned as Director of Development to accept an appointment as Assistant Vice President for corporate and foundation relations – development and research. The external site nontraditional Pharm.D. program was offered to distant sites in Orlando and West Palm Beach utilizing two-way video/audio technology. Students organized the student chapter of the National Pharmacy Association.

1996

The external site, non-traditional Pharm.D. program was renamed the Working Professional Pharm.D. program. The Program was expanded to numerous sites in Florida utilizing videotape technology and use of Internet communications for teaching. The new College of Pharmacy building was placed on the approved list by the State Legislature. Leslie Hendeles received the 1996 ACCP Therapeutic Frontier’s Lecture Award.

1997

The faculty approved a new Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum. The Board of Regents approved termination of the B.S. in Pharmacy degree. The first all Pharm.D. entering class of students was admitted with professional student classification. College faculty were selected for two of pharmacy’s most prestigious awards. Charles Hepler was selected as a co-recipient of the Remington Medal from APhA. Nicholas Bodor was selected as the recipient of the Volwiler Research Achievement Award from AACP. James Simpkins and Raymond Bergeron were selected to hold the College’s first endowed professorships, the Frank Duckworth professorships. Pharmacy students organized the student chapter of the Florida Society of Health Systems Pharmacists. Professor Paul Doering was selected to serve as the University’s Distinguished Alumni Professor for 1997-99. He is the first faculty member from the Health Science Center to be recognized by the University for this prestigious recognition.

1998

The College began its celebration activities for its 75th year diamond anniversary. The Working Professional Pharm.D. program was expanded to sites in other states. The new Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum was successfully implemented. The College required pharmacy students to have laptop computers. C. Douglas Hepler was named a Distinguished Professor. Margaret James was named a recipient of a UF Research Professorship. Students were admitted to a new combined degree program: Pharm.D./Masters of Physician Assistant Studies. The first students in the International Pharm.D. program received their degrees: Atsumi Nishikori, Aroonrut Lucksiri, Ingrid Beirhle, and Euni Kim.

1999

The College of Pharmacy celebrated its 75th year diamond anniversary. The last class of B.S. in Pharmacy students received their diplomas. The administrative structure of the College of Pharmacy was revised: Doug Ried, Assistant Dean for Curriculum Design, Assessment and Accreditation; Michael Brodeur, Assistant Dean for Financial and Administrative Affairs, Daniel Robinson, Associate Dean for Innovation; Michael McKenzie, Associate Dean for Professional Affairs; and William Millard, Executive Associate Dean and Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies.

2000

Offices, classrooms, and laboratories were designed for the new pharmacy building scheduled to be completed in 2002. The first graduates of the concurrent Pharm.D./Masters of Physician Assistant Studies program received their degrees at commencement ceremonies. The Kappa Epsilon pharmaceutical fraternity was selected the most outstanding organization on campus. The faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the College of Pharmacy participated in the self-study process for the ACPE accreditation visit scheduled for January 2001.

2001

Faculty were selected as recipients of two endowed chairs in the College of Pharmacy: Abraham Hartzema for the Perry A. Foote Chair in Pharmacy Health Care Administration and Raymond Bergeron for the Frank A. Duckworth Chair in Medicinal Chemistry. The first all entry-level Pharm.D. class graduated in May 2001. The new Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum was fully implemented over a four year time period. The Center for Pharmacogenomics was established with Julie Johnson as Director. Debbie DeSantis, alumnus of the College of Pharmacy and executive vice president for Rexall Sundown Vitamins, gave the College of Pharmacy a $2 million dollar gift to enhance technology. This is the largest single monetary gift ever given to the College. The College of Pharmacy received full accreditation from the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education. The College of Pharmacy began a joint curricular program for PharmD/Masters of Public Health degrees. Actual construction was begun on the new pharmacy building, and renovations were completed on the sixth and fifth floors of the present pharmacy building to create a state of the art research facility.

2002

The College of Pharmacy implemented three off-campus sites in Jacksonville, Orlando, and St. Petersburg for the delivery of the Doctor of Pharmacy degree in order to address the shortage of pharmacists in the state of Florida. The Admissions Committee admitted 130 students to the Gainesville campus and 150 students to the three off-campus sites. This is the largest entering pharmacy class in the history of the College of Pharmacy. Directors for the new off-campus programs were hired: Carol Motycka in Jacksonville, Erin St. Onge in Orlando, and Jennifer Williams in St. Petersburg. Sven Normann was appointed Assistant Dean of Distance, Continuing, and Executive Education.

The Working Professional PharmD program expanded as an international program to include seven students from Germany. Construction continued for the new pharmacy building and renovations were completed on the four floor of the present pharmacy building. Deborah DeSantis and family donated funds to endow a professorship in natural products teaching and research. The ChelaDerm Company was formed by Proctor and Gamble and the UF Research Foundation to foster development of the photoprotective iron chelator 2-furildioxime compound through the research work of Raymond Bergeron, Frank Duckworth, J.D., Eminent Chair Scholar Chair in Drug Research and Development.

2003

The new pharmacy building in the Health Professions, Nursing and Pharmacy Complex (HPNP) was dedicated on April 25, 2003. The first professional year curriculum was successfully delivered utilizing video-streaming technology and course facilitators to pharmacy students in three distance education campus sites. Pharmacy student organizations were created in the three distance education campuses. Dean Emeritus Michael Schwartz retired from the faculty. Faculty members Douglas Ried, Carole Kimberlin, Michael Meldrum and Michael McKenzie along with former faculty member Gayle Brazeau received the Lyman Award for the best manuscript published in the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. The Center for Drug Interaction Research and Education was established with Hartmut Derendorf as Director.

2004

The College of Pharmacy participated in the 150 year celebration of the University of Florida. The second year of the PharmD curriculum was implemented into the distance education campuses. This was the first year the Office for Student Affairs utilized a centralized application service (PharmCAS). The total number of applications (1834) was the largest applicant pool in the history of the College of Pharmacy. The Working Professional PharmD program continued with plans formulated to expand the program to Brazil and South Korea. Charles Hepler, Distinguished Professor and Remington Medal recipient retired from the faculty. Research funding by faculty significantly increased by 60% during the year.

2005

The College of Pharmacy completed the third year of the four campus program involving distance education delivery of the PharmD curriculum. A new pharmacy building on the St. Petersburg Campus was dedicated. The applicant pool for admission consideration exceeded 1800 students. Raymond Bergeron was granted a MERIT (Method of Extended Research in Time) from the NIH for consistent and excellent contributions to scientific knowledge. He is one of eight faculty at the University to be so designated with this honor. A survey by US News and Report revealed that the University of Florida College of Pharmacy was considered number eleven in the country by peer evaluation.

2006

The first students admitted to the three distance education campuses in

Jacksonville, Orlando, and St. Petersburg graduated with Doctor of Pharmacy degrees on May 7, 2006, at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. Ray Bergeron was awarded a MERIT (Method to Extend Research in Time from the NIH-Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Institute. This is the first MERIT award in the College’s history acknowledges his consistent and excellent contributions to scientific knowledge with up to ten years of continual funding for research. Julie Johnson received a five year Research Cooperative Agreement grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences., which will provide continued funding for the Center for Pharmacogenomics. Michael Brodeur and Michael McKenzie were appointed the first senior associate deans in the College of Pharmacy.

The Directors of the distance education campuses were promoted to Assistant Deans ( Carol Motycka – Jacksonville; Erin St. Onge – Orlando; and, Jennifer Williams – St. Petersburg campus. The faculty approved revised curriculum outcome statements for the Doctor of Pharmacy degree program. The College of Pharmacy was ranked 13th among all colleges of pharmacy in NIH funding. The College received $9.4 million in extramural research funding, which is the highest in our history. Of this $9.4 million in extramural funding, $7.0 million came from the NIH, which is also the highest NIH total in our history. New faculty members were added to the departments of medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutics, pharmacy practice, and pharmacy health care administration. The 1000th student in the Working Professional PharmD program received the Doctor of Pharmacy degree.

2007

The College of Pharmacy received full accreditation for the normal six-year cycle by the Accreditation Council on Pharmaceutical Education. Julie Johnson was selected by the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) as the recipient of the prestigious Paul R. Dawson Award for outstanding biotechnology research. Johnson joins other faculty members who have received top awards in the past for excellence in pharmacy education and practice: Diane Beck (Robert K. Chalmers Distinguished Pharmacy Educator Award from AACP); Nicholas Bodor (Volwiler Research Achievement Award from AACP); and Douglas Helper, professor emeritus (Remington Award from APhA). Diane Beck concluded her third year of leadership with AACP as the immediate past-president.

The College of Pharmacy was ranked 12th among colleges of pharmacy in NIH funding ($7,223,656) out of the 60 colleges of pharmacy with research programs. Margaret O. James, Professor and Chair of Medicinal Chemistry, was elected as chair of the Pharmaceutical Sciences section, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2007-2009). David Brushwood Professor of Pharmacy Health Care Administration, was named a fellow in the American Pharmacist Association (APhA). Carole Kimberlin, Professor of Pharmacy Health Care Administration, was named a fellow in the American Pharmacist Association (APhA). Earlene Lipowski, Associate Professor of Pharmacy Health Care Administration, was named the Donald C. Brodie Scholar in residence for the American Association for Colleges of Pharmacy for 2006. Leslie Hendeles, Professor of Pharmacy Practice, received the Sumner J. Yaffe Lifetime Achievement Award for 2007 from the Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group. Julie A. Johnson, Professor and Chair of Pharmacy Practice, received the 2007 University of Florida Faculty Achievement Recognition Award.

New Faculty Members in the College for 2006-2007. Benjamin Epstein, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Mark Chirico, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Tony Palmieri, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics. Ed Hamilton, alumnus, was elected president-elect of APhA. The College of Pharmacy was awarded one of the first Crystal Apple Awards from AACP for exemplary partnerships that foster quality experiential education and patient care teaching environment in association with Shands Jacksonville.

2008

The College of Pharmacy was rated tied at the 7th rank among the best colleges of pharmacy in the U.S. via a survey by U.S. News & World Report. Nicholas Bodor received the Distinguished Pharmaceutical Scientist Award from the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists. Hartmut Derendorf was elected the president of the American College of Clinical Pharmacology and was recognized as International Educator of the Year. Tony Palmieri was elected chairman of the United States Adopted Names Council. The Department of Pharmacy Healthcare Administration officially changed names to the Department of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy. This department received a $1 million gift from the Lawrence Dubow family that was matched by the State of Florida Trust Fund for Major Gifts for a total of $1.75 million to support graduate education.

The sixth biennial International Symposium on New Developments in Clinical Pharmacy and Clinical Pharmacology for Global Gators was held in Munich, Germany, in June 2007. The first International Health course, which was coordinated by Judy Riffee and Doug Ried, was offered in the fall and spring semester to prepare health care students for outreach programs in Caribbean and South American countries. Abraham Hartzema was name one of 33 University of Florida Research Foundation Professors for 2007-2010. Joanna Peris was named the Teacher of the Year. The College of Pharmacy hosted the District III NABP/AACP meeting in Orlando. The College of Pharmacy was chosen by Target Pharmacy to receive $150,000 over the next three years to support leadership programs and provide scholarships for pharmacy students.

2009

The new title of Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research was approved to replace the name of Department of Pharmacy Practice to better reflect the purpose and mission of the faculty in this department. New faculty members were added to the Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research: Rhonda Cooper-DeHoff, associate professor, Charles Peloquin, professor, Rachel Hrabchak, clinical assistant professor, Robin Moorman Li, clinical assistant professor (Jacksonville), and Lisa Clayville, clinical assistant professor (Orlando), and Hanine Mansour, clinical assistant professor (St. Petersburg). Cary Mobley, associate clinical professor of pharmaceutics, was appointed chair-elect of the Pharmaceutics section of the AACP for 2009-2010. Hartmut Derendorf was the recipient of the 2008-2009 Doctoral Dissertation Mentoring Award from the university. Bin Liu, assistant professor of pharmacodynamics, was selected as one of ten university faculty to receive the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Distinguished Mentor Award. Sihong Song was selected as a 2009-2012 University of Florida Foundation Research Professors. Julie Johnson was selected by ACCP for its 2009-2010 Therapeutic Frontiers Lecture Award recipient. The FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (FDA/CDER) in collaboration with the university launched an educational graduate program to attract scientists and health professionals to join FDA/CDER.

The Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD program graduated its first student (Maximillian Lobmeyer) in May 2009. Gerald Gause was selected Teacher of the Year and Distinguished Professor Paul Doering was selected for the Faculty Recognition Award. Plans were initiated to construct a new building for pharmacy research and education as part of the health science complex at Lake Nona in Orlando, which includes the Burnham Institute and the new UCF College of Medicine. A student chapter of the National Community Pharmacists Association was established in October 2008 at the Jacksonville campus. Douglas Ried resigned as associate dean for curriculum affairs and accreditation to become dean of the College of Pharmacy at Southwest Oklahoma State. Diane Beck was appointed interim associate dean of curriculum affairs and accreditation. The Office for Student Affairs implemented an electronic application evaluation system that permitted faculty and students in the three distance education campuses to participate as members of the Admissions Committee. The Biennial Global Gator Gathering was held in Stresa, Italy in June 2009.

2010

The Department of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy initiated a partnership with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) to provide a Masters Program to USPHS Commissioned Officers in the areas of Pharmacoepidemiology, Pharmacoeconomics and Patient Safety and Medication Use. Almut Winterstein is directing this initiative with the FDA/CDER. The College of Pharmacy entered into a contract with WellCare to provide 2 months of experiential training in Medication Therapy Management (MTM) for 12 senior PharmD students throughout the academic year. This MTM training program is directed by Mr. David Angaran with the assistance of three new faculty hires; Heather Hardin; Teresa Roane and Anna Hall.

The Financial and Administrative Affairs Office moved from the Oakwood Park Executive Center to the East Campus Office Building, expanding the allocation of resources to the administrative functions of the College, the WPPD program, and the Division of Continuing Education. The resources of the College were expanded to include Instructional Technology with the Informational Technology Office of the Financial and Administrative Affairs Office. The College of Pharmacy exceeded $10M in extramural Research Grant Support for the first time in its history.

Katherine Vogel-Anderson was hired in Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research to replace J. Daniel Robinson who retired from the College. Rhonda Cooper-Dehoff was elected Fellow in the American College of Cardiology. Burcin Unel, clinical assistant professor, Joseph Delaney, assistant professor, and Folakemi Odedina, professor, were hired into the Department of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy. John Markowitz, professor, and Hoajie, research assistant professor, were hired in the Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research. Jason Frazier received the 2010 Jack Wessell Excellence Award for Assistant Professors. Almut Winterstein was named University of Florida Research Foundation Research Professor Award 2010-12.

Julie A. Johnson received multiple awards this year: (1) Therapeutic Frontiers Award Lecture, American College of Clinical Pharmacy: (2) Fellow, American Heart Association; Functional Genomics and Translational Biology Council: (3) Julius Koch Memorial Lecturer, University of Pittsburgh, College of Pharmacy, and (4) Louis C. Littlefield Research Excellence Day Plenary Speaker, University of Texas at Austin. Folakemi Odedina received the inaugural American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacy (ASHP)/ Association of Black Health-System Pharmacists (ABHP) Leadership Award for Health Disparities. Karen Whalen received the National Community Pharmacists Association Pharmacy Leadership Award. Professor Emeritus, Douglas Hepler, received the A.K. Whitney Lecture Award from ASHP, the highest award given by health-system pharmacy. Michael Meldrum was named the 2009-10 College of Pharmacy Teacher of the Year.

2012

The College of Pharmacy moves into the $53 million, 106,000-square foot, state-of-the-art UF Research and Academic Center at Lake Nona. The location allows for the expansion of the college’s Pharm.D. program and the establishment of the Center for Pharmacometrics and Systems Pharmacology. The center is among the first academic centers in the nation to adopt sophisticated mathematical modeling and computer simulations to mimic clinical trials of new drugs.

2013

Julie Johnson, Pharm.D., is named dean of the University of Florida College of Pharmacy becoming the seventh dean and the first woman to hold the appointment in the college’s 90-year history.

The Center for Natural Products, Drug Discovery and Development is established in the College of Pharmacy. Led by Hendrik Luesch, Ph.D., the center aims to exploit the biosynthetic and therapeutic potential of untapped biodiversity for drug discovery.

2014

The Online Forensic Science Master’s Program receives over 3,000 class enrollments a year making it the world’s largest forensic science program. The program was previously honored in 2006, with the Award of Excellence in Distance Education by the American Distance Education Consortium, the highest national honor given by ADEC.

Julie Johnson, Pharm.D., becomes the first UF College of Pharmacy faculty member to be elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, now called the National Academy of Medicine. She is the first woman and only the ninth faculty member at UF to be elected to IOM.

2015

The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education awards full-accreditation to the College of Pharmacy through 2021.