We’re Joining Orlando’s Medical Research Community at Lake Nona, FL
View the Lake Nona Live-Cam to see the construction progress.
Lake Nona is a multi-faceted, 7,000-acre master-planned community in the Orlando area. Its centerpiece is a 600-acre health-and-life science cluster known as Lake Nona Medical City.
UF’s 100,000-square-foot Research and Academic Center, now under construction, will give the university a strong presence in the growing medical complex at Lake Nona that also includes the University of Central Florida’s College of Medicine and Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, the Nemours Children’s Hospital, the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and the M.D. Anderson Center Research Institute.
The UF Research and Academic Center at Lake Nona facility will include academic, office, conference, support and research space for the College of Pharmacy as follows:
• Expansion of the College of Pharmacy’s Ph.D. program in the emerging field of pharmacometrics, an area of research that seeks to quantify how drugs and diseases interact to aid in efficient and effective drug development and regulatory decisions.
• The Orlando Campus of the College of Pharmacy’s first entry-level degree program, which will house 200 students seeking the Doctor of Pharmacy degree.
Health Professions/Nursing/Pharmacy Building (HPNP) – 2003
The HPNP building was dedicated to three Health Science Center colleges at UF, including the College of Pharmacy, in 2003. At 173,133-square-feet, the shared facility is home to educational, administrative and research space that includes teaching labs and lecture space for students. The facility supports UF’s Strategic Plan, which emphasizes shared resources and is equipped with wireless technology with video conferencing capabilities that support and enhance the college’s distance learning programs. This building makes the UF College of Pharmacy the first in the country with a completely wireless design.
Pharmacy Wing, Health Science Center – 1959
The college was 34 years old when groundbreaking ceremonies were held in1959 for the pharmacy wing of the new UF Health Science Center. In 1962 the pharmacy building was dedicated by University of Florida President J. Wayne Reitz. Clinical pharmacy education was a new addition to the pharmacy curriculum in 1970. Ronald B. Stewart developed a four-credit elective course requiring students to spend three hours per week in clinical activities at the Health Science Center.
Distance Education Campuses (Orlando, St. Petersburg, Jacksonville) – 2002
In 2002, the College of Pharmacy introduced an innovative educational outreach to address the shortage of pharmacists in the state of Florida and established three off-campus sites in Jacksonville, Orlando, and St. Petersburg with online and videostreamed delivery of the pharmacy curriculum. The largest entering pharmacy class in the history of UF was admitted with 130 new students attending the Gainesville campus and 150 more divided equally among the three off-campus sites.
Chemistry-Pharmacy Building, now Leigh Hall – 1925
It was in 1925, when the School of Pharmacy was made a College of Pharmacy with Dr. Townes R. Leigh, head of the Department of Chemistry named as the first dean. The new college was granted membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, the accrediting body for pharmacy education at the time, and the legislature appropriated money to build the Chemistry-Pharmacy building, now called Leigh Hall.