- B.S. Animal Science, Jilin Agricultural University, Changchun, P.R. China
- M.S. Animal Science, Jilin Agricultural University, Changchun, P.R. China
- Ph.D. Animal Molecular & Cell Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Post Doctoral Associate in Gene Therapy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Song’s interests are in 1) improvement of safety and efficiency of rAAV vector by understanding molecular mechanisms of persistence and integration of the AAV genome in mammalian cells and 2) the use of recombinant Adeno-Associated Virus (rAAV) vectors mediated gene transfer to develop gene therapy approaches for common diseases such as diabetes and arthritis
American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy (ASGCT)
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
American Association of College of Pharmacy (AACP)
Gamma Sigma Delta, Honor Society of Agriculture
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Molecular and Cell Biology
- Gene expression and gene regulation
- Liver and muscle gene delivery
- Gene therapy for type 1 diabetes and alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Adeno-associated virus (AAV) vector biology: DNA persistence, integration and interaction with cellular factors; host immune responses to transgene products
Mohammad Ahsanul Akbar**, Jay J. Cao, Yuanqing Lu**, David Nardo**, Mong-Jen Chen**, Ahmed S. Elshikha**, Rubina Ahamed**, Mark Brantly, L. Shannon Holliday, Sihong Song* Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Gene Therapy Ameliorates Bone Loss in Ovariectomy-induced Osteoporosis Mouse Model. Hum Gene Ther. 2016 Sep; 27(9):679-86.
Ahmed S. Elshikha**, Yuanqing Lu**, Mong-Jen Chen**, Mohammad Akbar**, Leilani Zeumer, Andrea Ritter**, Hanaa Elghamry, Mahmoud A. Mahdi, Laurence Morel and Sihong Song*. Alpha 1 antitrypsin inhibits dendritic cell activation and attenuates nephritis in a mouse model of lupus. PLOS ONE, 2016 May 27;11(5):e0156583. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0156583. eCollection 2016.
Mohammad Ahsanul Akbar**, Yuanqing Lu**, Ahmed S. Elshikha**, Mong-Jen Chen**, Ye Yuan**, Elizabeth M. Whitley, L. Shannon Holliday, Lung-ji Chang, Sihong Song* (2016) Transplantation of Adipose Tissue Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell (ATMSC) Expressing Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Reduces Bone Loss in Ovariectomized Osteoporosis Mice. Hum Gene Ther. 2017 Feb;28 (2):179-189.
Akbar MA**, Nardo D**, Chen MJ**, Elshikha AS**, Ahamed R, Elsayed EM, Bigot C, Holliday LS, Song S*. Alpha-1 antitrypsin inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclast formation and functions. Mol Med. 2017; 23: 57–69, doi: 10.2119/molmed. 2016.00170.
Yuan, Y.**, DiCiaccio, B., Li, Y., Elshikha, A.S.**, Titov, D., Brenner, B., Seifer, B., Pan, H., Karic, N., Akbar, M.A.**, Lu, Y**, Song, S.*, Zhou, L. Anti-inflammaging effects of human alpha 1 antitrypsin. Aging Cell (2017) pp1-11. Doi: 10.111/acel. 12694.
- The protective effects of plasma gelsolin on stroke outcome in rats.
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin protein and gene therapies decrease autoimmunity and delay arthritis development in mouse model.
- The effect of DNA-dependent protein kinase on adeno-associated virus replication.
- Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cell-based liver gene delivery.
- Ex vivo transduction and transplantation of bone marrow cells for liver gene delivery of alpha1-antitrypsin.