- B.S. in Pharmacy, Ohio State University
- Pharm.D., University of Texas at Austin and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Post-doctoral fellowship in cardiovascular pharmacology/pharmacokinetics at the Ohio State University
- Distinguished Professor of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research, College of Pharmacy
- Distinguished Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine (Cardiovascular Medicine), College of Medicine
- Director of the UF Health Personalized Medicine Program
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist with added qualifications in cardiology
- A 2013 – 2015 UF Research Foundation Professor
- V. Ravi Chandran Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences (2004 – 2013)
Appointed as dean of the UF College of Pharmacy in 2013, Dr. Johnson first joined the faculty at the college in 1998. Prior to joining UF, she held a faculty position for nine years at the University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy.
Dr. Johnson’s research programs focus on inter-patient variability in drug response, particularly cardiovascular drug pharmacogenomics, and translation of pharmacogenomics into clinical practice. Her discovery research centers around the pharmacogenomics of antihypertensive drugs, and drugs used to prevent clot formation. Her research has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health or the American Heart Association since 1990. She leads one of the research groups funded by the NIH Pharmacogenomics Research Network, with a project focused on pharmacogenomics of antihypertensive drugs, and also leads one of the funded groups in the NIH’s genomic medicine implementation network, called IGNITE, for which she was also inaugural chair of its steering committee.
Dr. Johnson has served in numerous leadership and service roles with the NIH, FDA, CDC, and numerous national/international organizations. She served as member of NIH’s Xenobiotics and Nutrients Disposition and Action (XNDA) study section, a member of the Pediatric Heart Network Protocol Review Committee and the Heart Failure Network Data and Safety Monitoring Board, both for the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute of NIH. She has had numerous leadership roles in many national and international organizations, including the American Heart Association (AHA), the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (ASCPT), among others. She was elected into member of the Institute of Medicine in 2014, and is an elected fellow of the ACCP and the AHA, and the American College of Clinical Pharmacology. She served as an elected Regent on the Board of Regents of the ACCP from 2000-2003; and served on the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee for the Food and Drug Administration (2000-2004). She is on the Editorial Boards for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, Journal of the American Heart Association, and Personalized Medicine and serves as a manuscript reviewer for numerous other scientific journals.
National Awards & Honors
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies member, elected 2014
- Honorary Fellow Award, American College of Clinical Pharmacology, September 2014
- Russell Miller Award for Contribution to the Literature, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, October 2010
- Fellow, American Heart Association; Functional Genomics and Translational Biology Council, November 2009
- Therapeutic Frontiers Award, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2009
- Paul Dawson Biotechnology Research Award, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, 2007
- Leon I. Goldberg Young Investigator Award, American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2004
- FDA Committee Appointee – Nonprescription Drug Advisory Committee, 2000-04
- Elected Officer (Regent) – American College of Clinical Pharmacy Board of Regents, 2000-03
- Ohio State University William Oxley Thompson Alumni Award, 1997
- Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 1996
Dr. Johnson also has received numerous named lectureships from multiple universities, teaching awards at both universities where she has held appointments and other awards.
Full Publication List via PubMed