- Fellowship in Family Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina
- Pharm.D., Medical University of South Carolina
- B.S. in Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dr. Gums is a Professor of Pharmacy and Medicine in the Departments of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research and Community Health and Family Medicine at the University of Florida. Additionally, he holds the title of Associate Dean for Clinical and Administrative Affairs in the College of Pharmacy. He received his undergraduate degree in pharmacy from the University of Wisconsin and his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the Medical University of South Carolina. Subsequently, he completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Family Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Gums is actively involved in teaching both in the College of Pharmacy and the College of Medicine. He has received the Faculty Recognition Award from the College of Pharmacy, Exemplary Teacher Award from the College of Medicine, and twice was selected as Teacher of the Year by the University of Florida, Department of Family Medicine.
He has authored over 175 peered-review articles, 22 continuing education programs, and 22 book chapters. He has given over 90 invited presentations to national and international pharmacy and medical associations. He maintains an active clinical research program and is currently an investigator on a 5-year NIH trial evaluating the impact of a centralized cardiovascular risk service (MED-FOCUS).
Dr. Gums maintains membership in ASHP, AACP, and ACCP. He is a member of the Family Medicine Editorial Advisory Council for the Annals of Pharmacotherapy, and is a Scientific Editor for the journal Pharmacotherapy. In 1993, he was appointed by the governor as a member of the State of Florida Pharmacy Services and Technical Review panel. In 1997, he received the Outstanding Clinical Practice Award from ACCP. In 2002, Dr. Gums was selected to represent both AACP and ACCP as a Primary Health Care Policy Fellow through the office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services in Washington DC. And in 2007, he was elected as a Fellow in the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Florida Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Florida Pharmacy Association
- Funtana V, McDonough CW, Gong Y, El Rouby NM, Sá ACC, Taylor KD, Chen Y-DI, Gums JG, Chapman AB, Turner ST, Pepine CJ, Johnson JA, Cooper-Dehoff RM. Large-Scale Gene-centric Analysis Identifies Polymorphisms for Resistant Hypertension. J. American Heart Association. September 2014;3(6). piie001398.
- Hiltunen TP, Donner KM, Sarin AP, Saarela J, Ripatti S, Chapman AB, Gums JG, Gong Y, Cooper-Dehoff RM, Frau F, Glorioso V, Zaninello R, Salvi E, Glorioso N, Boerwinkle E, Turner ST, Johnson JA, Kontula KK. Pharmacogenomics of Hypertension: A Genome-Wide Placebo Controlled Cross-Over Study, Using Four Classes of Antihypertensive Drugs. J. Amer. Heart Assoc 2015;4:e001521 doi:10.1161/JAHA.114.001521.
- Boerwinkle E, Del-Aguila J, Cooper-DeHoff R, Chapman A, Gums JG, Beitelshees A, Bailey K, Turner ST, Johnson JA. Trans Ethnic Meta-Analysis Suggests Variation in the Heme Pathway Influences Potassium Response in Patients Treated with Hydrochlorothiazide. Pharmacogenomics J . 2015 Apr;15(2):153-7. doi: 10.1038/tpj.2014.46. Epub 2014 Sep 9.PMID: 25201287
- Gong Y, McDonough CW, Beitelshees AL, El Rouby N, Hiltunen TP, O’Connell JR, Padmanabhan S, Langee TY, Hall K, Schmidt SDF, Curry RW, Gums JG, Donner KM, Kontula KK, Bailey KR, Boerwinkle E, Takahashi A, Tanaka T, Kubo M, Chapman AS, Turner ST, Pepine CJ, Cooper-Dehoff RM, Johnson JA, PTPRD Gene Association with Blood Pressure Response to Atenolol and Resistant Hypertension. J. Hypertension 2015; 33(11): 2278-85
- Weng L, Eoin Q, Gong Y, Beitelshees A, Shahin M, Turner ST, Chapman AB, Gums JG, Johnson JA, Frye R, Garrett T, Cooper-Dehoff R. Association of Branched and Aromatic Amino Acids Levels with Metabolic Syndrome and Impaired Fasting Glucose in Hypertension Patients. Met. Synd. Related Dis 2015 Jun;13(5):195-202. doi: 10.1089/met.2014.0132. Epub 2015 Feb 9. PMID: 25664967
- Carris N, Spinelli A, Pierini D, Taylor J, Vogel-Anderson K, Sando K, Powell J, Rosenberg E, Zumberg M, Smith S, Gums JG, Dietrich E. Feasibility of Extended-Interval Follow-Up for Patients Receiving Warfarin. Cardiovascular Therapeutics 2015, 33:98-103. (dio:10.1111/1755-5922.12115).
- Smith SM, Carris NW, Dietrich E, Gums JG, Uribe L, Coffey, CS, Gums TH, Carter BL. Physician – Pharmacist collaboration versus usual care for treatment-resistant hypertension J. Amer. Soc. Hypertension 2016 (January 18): 1-11.
- Gong Y, Wang Z, Beitelshees AL, McDonough CW, Langaee TY, Hall K, Schmidt SO, Curry RW, Gums JG, Bailey KR, Boerwinkle E, Chapman AB, Turner ST, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Johnson JA. Pharmacogenomic Genomic-Wide Meta-Analysis of blood pressure response to beta-blockers in hypertensive African Americans. Hypertension 2016 March 67(3): 556-63.
- Chang SW, Gong Y, McDonough CW, Langaee TY, Kenari NN, Beitelshees AL, Gums JG, Chapman AB, Turner ST, Johnson JA, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Melatonin Pathway and Atenolol – Related Glucose Dysregulation – Is There a Correlation? Clin Transl Sci 2016;9:114-122.
- Hwang A, Gums JG. The Emergence and Evolution of Antimicrobial Resistance: Impact on a Global Scale. J. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 2016 (In Press).