College of Pharmacy Summer Research Internship Program
The College of Pharmacy is dedicated to increasing the number of professionally trained pharmacists to consider a career in academic pharmacy and pharmaceutical/biomedical research. We have found from past experiences in our Departments of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research and Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy that providing an environment for training of PharmD students very early in their professional degree program has been successful in directing future graduates to careers in research.
In following, this summer the College will provide 9-week, full time paid ($4,200) summer internship lines to both first (1PD) and second (2PD) year PharmD students at each of the college’s four campuses (Gainesville, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa/St Petersburg) to work with a faculty mentor in an in-depth research experience in translational or basic biomedical research during the summer months.
This year, the total number of summer internships will be determined by the individual applicant’s strengths and their interest in careers in pharmaceutical/biomedical research. Payouts will occur in two equal installments in May and then in August/September.
The research experiences can occur with faculty mentors within any of the following:
- UF-COP in any of the five departments in the College
- UF and the UF – Academic Health Center
- Academic and Research Partners of the UF-COP which would include all Florida Universities and Colleges with biomedical research programs
Students interested in a career in research should contact Dr. William J. Millard at the Gainesville Campus or one of the Campus directors or assistant directors at either the Jacksonville, Orlando or St. Petersburg Campus for further information. Students at College’s Distance campuses are also encouraged to contact one or more of the research coordinators listed under each of the campuses at the bottom of the PharmD Student Research Opportunities website.
- Be diligent in their pursuit of this research experience and to engage in all pertinent activities that are outlined by their selected mentor during the summer research experience
- Prepare a written abstract of their work
- Prepare a 3000 word paper as required for academic honors at UF including the above abstract
- Present their work either orally to their peers in a formal setting or as a poster presentation at local, state or national meetings (e.g. COP Annual Research Showcase)
- Minimum Pharmacy GPA of 2.8
Information on the COP Academic Honors program can be found at: http://pharmacy.ufl.edu/education/student-affairs/academics/academic-honors-requirements/
February 15, 2015
COP Application Form
The application is web based and it is not possible to save or print the final document. Also, because of security regulations, there is a time limit of 20 minutes for completing each page of the application or all data will be lost. It is strongly recommended to prepare your responses before starting the application particularly the response to the questions on page 5. The application includes links to the profile of many of the potential mentors.
Please contact Linda Orr (below contact information) if there are any questions. A PDF copy of your application input can be obtained from Linda.
A brief interview may be required and decisions will be announced by March 31, 2015.